Benefits of Herbs >>
Benefits of Yarrow Herb
Yarrow herb is also known as achillea millefolium, common yarrow and many other names. The fresh leaves were eaten as vegetable and the dried leaves were used as herb. The stalk of the yarrow plant was used by Native Americans for treating colds and fevers. It was used topically to heal abrasions, bruises, sprains, swellings and wounds. It was known as woundwort because of its ability to stop wound bleeding.
There are over one hundred active chemical compounds and among its active constituents are asparagine, bitters, coumarins, flavonoids, salicylic acid, saponins and tannins. Even though the stems, leaves and flowers have therapeutic properties, the flowering tops are most often used for medicinal purpose. Yarrow extract is available as yarrow essential oil, yarrow liquid extract, tincture, dietary supplement as well as yarrow flower essence.
Health Benefits and Medicinal Uses of Yarrow Herb
- Drinking yarrow tea helps induce sweating. It is helpful if you are trying to lower fever and treat colds. This is because it has shown to be a natural diaphoretic agent.
- It is a natural stimulant and may help improve alertness, emotional imbalances and relieve stress and anxiety. The yarrow flower essence can help achieve these states. You use it by either putting 2 - 3 drops of the flower essence under your tongue or dab a few drops on the pulse points or acupuncture points. A flower essence bath is another way to relax and de-stress.
- Because of the presence of tannins, it acts as a natural astringent. It is helpful when applied topically to treat cuts, insect bites, wounds and skin irritations. Taken internally, it helps as a remedy for diarrhea, sore throat and peptic ulcer.
- It has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. When the leaves, stems and flowers are used as a compress on hemorrhoids, rashes and skin ulcers, it will speed up the healing process.
- Yarrow herb may also help in treating allergies, mild asthma, hay fever and upper respiratory problems.
- The presence of salicylic acid makes it a natural analgesic and is helpful for pain relief such as headaches.
- It is also used to treat inflammations and has been used as a remedy for hemorrhoids.
Yarrow is also used as a remedy for indigestion, heartburn, urinary tract infection, menstrual cramps, muscle spasms, toothaches and stomach flu or gastroenteritis.