Alternative Medicine >>
Rose Flower Water
Benefits and Uses of Rose Flower Water
Rose flower water or more commonly known as rose water is the hydrosol obtained after steam distillation of rose petals to produce rose oil. An Iranian doctor introduced the steam distillation to extract the water from the rose petals way back in the early 11th century.
Even though there are numerous rose species such as rosa centifolia, rosa gallica, rosa alba and rosa rugosa, the damask roses or rosa damascena is still widely used until today to produce this floral water. Damascus rose is also used as an ingredient in perfumes such as Parisienne by Yves Saint Laurent.
In the Middle East and many Asian countries, rose water or rose syrup is consumed as a beverage and an added ingredient in foods especially sweet treats such as candies and desserts. Rose water is also used by some religious cultures for spiritual purposes.
You can buy rose water in most grocery stores, health stores, supermarkets and online. They are also sold as rose water body splash, rose water facial spray and rose water toner. You can also find rose water combined with other herbs such as aloe vera, witch hazel and glycerin.
But you can also make your own rose flower water. What you need is a cup of organic and clean rose petals and two cups of water. You can use any type of water but using spring water is the best choice. Once the water is boiled, pour it into the bowl of flower petals. Cover the heat resistant glass bowl and let the petals steep for about 30 minutes. Once it is cooled, strain the petals and it is ready for use.
The Benefits and Uses of Rose Water
- Make use of rose flower water as a toner for the skin. Adding rose water or rose petals to a bath and soaking in it helps balance the ph of the skin, softens it and is able to soothe many skin problems. It is also very relaxing because of its pleasant and soothing aroma.
- Fill the rose water in a spray bottle and use it as a body mist, hair rinse and room freshener. Since it is water, the fragrance doesn't last but it's refreshing while it does.
- You can also use rose water as an eye wash if you have tired and irritated eyes. Make sure the eye wash cup is sterilized and there is no impurity in the rose water. Another way to use it is to soak a cotton pad or gauze and place it on your eyelids for about 15 minutes. This remedy may also help treat dark circles around the eyes.
- Applying a paste made by mixing sandalwood powder with rose water is one of the most popular remedies for scars. Leave the paste overnight and repeat this remedy for about a week to see noticeable improvement.
- If you have very dry skin, mix one part of rose flower water with 3 parts of liquid glycerin and apply it on your skin a few times a day.
- Even though there isn't any scientific evidence, drinking a glass of milk sprinkled with a few drops of rose water may help fight depression.
- Pick a bottle or food grade rose water and add it to your baking and ice cream. One of Malaysians favorite cool drinks is called air Bandung which is a mixture of rose syrup and milk. It is also added to sweet dishes to enhance the aroma.