Benefits of Herbs >>
Calendula Flower Benefits
Calendula officinalis, calendula flower or pot marigold is a colorful herbal plant with golden orange or yellow petals. In ancient times, marigold flowers are dried and added to broth. The leaves are eaten as salad. As a medicine, pot marigold was taken internally as herbal tea to treat abdominal cramps, constipation, fevers, stomach ulcers and varicose veins and also to remove toxins from the body. It was used topically to treat burns, insect bites, measles, skin problems, swellings, smallpox and wounds.
In this modern times where people are concerned about health and are turning to herbal remedies, calendula extract is used to treat many conditions, diseases and ailments. More and more people are confident in using calendula officinalis after many studies confirmed the medicinal values and benefits of this herbal flowering plant.
Among the active compounds found in calendula officinalis are calendic acid, carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin, resins, saponins and essential oils. These plant compounds plus many more natural chemicals in calendula flower produce anti cancer, anti genotoxic, anti inflammatory, antiseptic and anti viral and mild anesthetic effects.
Here is a list of some of the medicinal uses and benefits of marigold flowers and calendula extract.
- Its anti tumor properties has the potential to fight against colon cancer cells. A clinical study done on mice found that calendic acid was able to destroy tumor cells and prevent damage to DNA.
- Extract from marigolds flowers is effective in the treatment of various skin problems and inflammations. They are available in the form of calendula ointment, cream, lotion, calendula oil and soap to provide dermatological solutions. Among its usefulness is in the treatment of acne, blisters, burns, cracked ski, cuts, cradle cap, diaper rash, eczema, open wound, perioral dermatitis and scrapes.
- Marigold flower is also effective as a moisturizer and is helpful for people with dry, damaged or sensitive skin.
- It is one of the best home remedies for treating sunburn especially when combined with aloe vera juice or gel.
- Calendula tea is used as a remedy to treat stomach ulcers, soothe menstrual cramps, treat constipation problem and maintain regular menstruation.
- Extract of calendula flower when applied topically has shown to reduce pain, redness and skin irritation caused by radiation therapy for breast cancer.
- Calendula may help ease ear infection when used as an ear drop.
- Lutein present in calendula may help reduce the risk of cataract and macular degeneration and supports eye and vision health.