Home Page >>
Essential Oil Benefits >>
Benefits of Castor Oil
The Benefits of Castor Oil
What is castor oil? What are the benefits of castor oil? What are the medicinal uses of castor oil?
Castor oil is the oil that is extracted from castor bean seeds. The oil is very rich in fatty acids. They are Ricinoleic acid and Oleic acid which are omega-9 fatty acid and Linoleic acid which is an omega-6 fatty acid. These fatty acids are the major contributors of castor oil benefits.
Ricinoleic acid has an analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. The human brain needs oleic acid for development and growth. This acid may deter the development of ALD or adrenoleukodystrophy which is a genetic disorder that affects the brain. Oleic acid may also assist in memory improvement. Linoleic acid supports healthy hair growth and wound healing. And all these fatty acids are necessary to maintain healthy skin.
Because of all the benefits stated above, castor oil is used in making soaps, skin care and beauty products, hair products, ointments, creams and lotions. You can also purchase castor oil in the form of softgel and also liquid form for internal use. This is because one of the benefits of castor oil is it also acts as a laxative.
Because of its healing properties, castor oil packs has been used for decades as a healing agent and an alternative medicine for various ailments. The man who made the castor oil pack popular was Edgar Cayce who is known as one of America's greatest psychics. He was the main who introduced the castor oil remedies.
A castor oil pack is a piece of wool or cotton flannel that is soaked in castor oil. To ease a discomfort such as abdominal pain or lower back ache, what you need to do is place the soaked cloth on the affected area. And then put a hot water bottle on top of it to provide heat and increase penetration. You can also rub it directly but the pack is more effective.
Other Benefits of Castor Oil
- Castor oil may heal diseases such as cancer, hepatitis, arthritis, migraines, and digestive disorders. This claim was made by Dr. William McGarey who is a physician and Chairman of the Board of the A.R.E. Clinic. He has used the castor packs extensively in his medical practice. You can get his book titled The Oil that Heals where he presented many case histories from patients and physicians.
- If you have problem with your hair such as damaged hair, thinning or split ends, the jamaican black castor oil may solve your problem. The other option is to use any conditioner or hair lotion that contains castor oil. Not only will it treat your hair problem, the benefits of castor oil include strengthening your hair shaft. It may also help thicken your eye lashes and eyebrows.
- Another one of the benefits of castor oil is it helps moisturize your skin especially if you have dry skin. If you have excess sebum or oil on your face, you can apply castor oil to remove the impurities. It is also useful in treating skin problems, burns, sunburns, skin cuts, and abrasions. Some nursing mothers use it to prevent nipple soreness.
- Many pregnant women have taken castor oil to induce labor when they have passed the full term. Some of them added the oil to their juice and drank it. Some others add it to their food. Results were positive. If you plan to use castor oil induction, please do your research and get expert opinions first.
- Castor oil enema was once a method used to treat constipation. This procedure is done by injecting castor oil or a solution containing castor oil into the rectum. After the injection, a bowel movement will happen within 30 minutes to two hours.
- Castor oil is also used in paint, varnish, brake fluid, lubricants and dye.