Healthy Lifestyle >>
Advantages of Being Single
The Advantages of Being Single
There are quite a number of benefits and advantages of being single even though many will claim that being married is a better choice.
Some people are single by choice. A midlife singles survey done across the US some time back reported that 31 percent of 3501 singles ages 40 through 69 have never been married. These people are either busy pursuing their careers and have no time to settle down or they don't believe in marriage. There are of course other reasons why people don't get married.
And there are people who find themselves single and alone again through divorce, separation or the death of a spouse. People who cohabitate are also considered single, according to the law, even if they are staying together.
So what are the advantages of being single? Why are some people single and loving it?
- Anyone who has been in a relationship or was once married might agree that there's personal freedom. Single people don't need to obtain approval or consent from their other halves when it comes to decision making. They don't have to compromise and consider what their partners will think or feel so they are free to explore, do and try new things.
- Even though breaking up is a painful experience, being single again has its advantages. Unless they get into a rebound relationship, many people find that it is an opportunity to discover and know who they really are. Too often, being married or being in a serious relationship makes people lose their sense of self. Everything is about "us" instead of "I"and "my". They lose their autonomy and forget their dreams.
- One of the other advantages of being single is having your own psychological, personal and emotional space. Couples don't get much of this space and sometimes this leads to suffocation.
- Once singles have adapted to living alone and making their own decisions, they will discover that can do things and don't have to rely on anyone.
- Single living normally allows for lower living expenses. One of the advantages of being single is that you only pay rent, food, groceries only for one person and that's you. This is a relief for those who have been the main breadwinner.
- There is only one family to think of. You don't have to worry about visiting or pleasing your in-laws.
- Most single people aren't against marriage. They enjoy having affairs and flirting. The advantage is that they don't have to get tied down. The fun thing is that single people who can handle it emotionally can have flings and affairs and fall in and out of love over and over again.